this is a copycat recipe for a great soup without chicken, though you could certainly add some.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional garnish)
- add 1 1/2 lbs plum tomatoes
- add 3 tablespoons olive oil
- add 1 1/2 seven-inch corn tortillas
- add 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- add 1 1/2 cups water
- add 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- add 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- add 1/3 cup tomato paste
- add 1 1/2 teaspoons minced jalapeno peppers
- add 2 tablespoons minced white onions
- add 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (optional garnish)
- add 1 lb white corn kernels
- add 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- add 1 quart chicken stock
- add 24 blue corn chips (optional garnish)
- add 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Over medium-high heat, fry tortilla squares in olive oil until they begin to crisp and turn a golden yellow. Add garlic, onion and jalapeno; cook 1 to 2 minutes, until onion becomes translucent.
- Add half the corn along with all other ingredients (except garnishes), reserving other half of corn to be added at the end. Bring the soup to a low, even boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove soup from heat. Use a hand-held propeller blade processor to process in batches to the consistency of a course puree. (You can also process in batches in a blender).
- Return the soup to the burner and add the reserved corn. Bring the soup to a boil once again being extremely careful to avoid scorching or burning the soup. Serve, garnished with blue corn tortilla chips, cilantro and sharp cheddar cheese.